Tuesday, June 12, 2012

2012 Regional Artist Project Grant - Model Stand & Storage Racks


Back in February I announced here that I was honored to be chosen as a 2012 RPAG awardee.  You can read how I initially used some of the funds to purchase a professional lighting set up HERE.  I also proposed to use the funds to build studio equipment such as two rolling painting storage racks as well as a collapsible model stand.  I have managed to spend every last cent and with the great help of my husband Greg, we have finished construction on these new studio assets.   Take a look.

 My very handy husband putting on some locking casters for the model stand.

Final sanding before carpet.

Space is a limited in my studio, so I wanted to have the option to collapse my model stand when not in use.  My idea was to create a stand sort of like an upside down folding dining room table like the one picture above.  However, my husband tends to think of things like wishbone suspension - so combine those two ideas and you get this...




 My new wonderful model stand!

Then came the large painting storage racks...
My boys are so good to me!
This one has a shelf for smaller paintings above and medium size works below, while the second rack has just one large area open for my biggest works.

A few L shaped 2x4s make a nice display shelf on the outside of the racks.



 Thank you to the United Arts Council of Raleigh and Wake County, especially Jennifer McIntyre who works tirelessly to continue this wonderful opportunity for our area artists.  I very much appreciate the support and it will undoubtedly go far in advancing my efforts as a fine artist.  

The Regional Artist Project Grant is funded and administered by the United Arts Council of Raleigh and Wake County.  This project is supported by the N.C. Arts Council, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.  The program is operated in partnership with the Franklin County Arts Council, Johnston County Arts Council, Vance County Arts Council and Warren County Arts Council.


    

12 comments:

  1. Wow Alia, The model stand design is brilliant. With it and the rolling painting rack, your studio space is going to be so efficient. I can't imagine what it would have cost to have contracted someone to make both of those things. Big congrats to you for having such a great husband who can do such beautiful design and fabrication! Looks like he's got a very helpful helper, too! (nice process photos!)
    I'm moving next summer and will be setting up a new studio space, and I'm going to remember both these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extremely creative projects, Alia. Thanks for sharing! Love the folding model stand and the tricked out canvas rack. Sweet! I only wish my husband was as handy as yours. Lucky girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea for a model stand, Alia! How wonderful that your husband built that for you! Thanks for sharing these projects...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. Now you've inserted this notion of folding furniture in my brain, and I won't be able to get rid of it until I get rid of my old, clumsy, "un-rollie" stuff and replace it all with wishbone-folding-platform-cum-storage contraptions!
      We missed seeing you in Chattanooga, by the way.

      Delete
  4. I love neat/tidy and creative solutions that save space like this one, Alia. FAB and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the awesome comments folks! It really has been a wonderful experience to go through for my first Grant. I am enjoying breaking all this new studio equipment in. :) Happy Painting y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these two ideas...the storage rack is brilliant. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! And congrats on the grant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Thanks for sharing this, and congratulations on the grant. It was nice to see you at the PSA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Alia, these are fantastic pieces of furniture that are wonderful studio work horses~ well done to you, your husband and son for such a great family project. Very clever and if they are thinking about making them for others I am sure you would get some business!! I would love some of those storage racks!!! : D

    ReplyDelete
  10. How are you liking your folding model stand? I'm thinking of having something similar made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use it almost every day and it has help up very well. It's been great. Enjoy yours.

      For those that send many email requests for blueprints of this design- we will not be making those for you. But perhaps the photos in this post can get you started. Who knows, maybe your design will be even better.

      Delete