All of the insulation and partial drywall had to be taken out. The previous owner had chosen too inefficient an insulation to condition the space, and also curiously, they decided to use deer netting to keep the insulation in place. This meant that we had to spend countless hours removing staple after staple from each and every stud and joist. We also started to notice how the acrylic bubble skylights began to leak. Though they were south facing, we had not planned to replace them, which significantly impacted our budget and in turn impacted our timeline.
We knew the 3/8 inch plywood subflooring would have to be replaced, so we took that opportunity to also correctly insulate under the floor as well.
Below you will see how we had to remove the old leaky skylights which we splurged by replacing them with really nice north-facing ones on the opposite side of the roof.
We also decided to give my easels a bit more head room and raised the ceiling joists.
Now at this point, we realized that we would need to fix the stairs to bring them up to code. Ironically, I do not have any pictures of this step. It is likely due to the fact that it was one of the most contentious parts of the project. I am happy to say our marriage was strong enough to survive the disagreements.
The last bit of fun left to us by the previous owner was some very "iffy" looking, obviously home grown electrical work. We decided to hire a professional for this aspect of the job, especially since it required installing a special plug for the heat/ AC unit we will be installing.
I am so happy to say that on Wednesday, all of the rough work passed the city's building inspection. It was a huge relief and now means we can move forward with insulation and drywall. Though the list is still long, I think we have turned the corner and are much, much closer to me being able to use this amazing and inspiring space (more comfortably) soon. Below you will see two panoramic shots that kind of stretched the wall lenghts just a wee bit, but it's fun to see the whole space in one picture.
I will leave you with a painting which was in progress in the midst of this renovation.