Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Sketchbook Project


I've spent the last 4 months trying to keep quiet about this fun project that I decided to be a part of, because... well, I wasn't sure if I could pull it off. I must admit it did help quite a bit that they extended the deadline.

The Sketchbook Project, now in its fourth variation, is a opportunity for anyone to submit a sketch-filled moleskine, sketchbook to become part of the permanent Library of Art House Gallery.
Steven Peterman and Shane Zucker have recently announced that they will also be opening up a new space in Red Hook in Brooklyn, NY in January 2010. The Sketchbook Project Volume 4 exhibition will begin touring January 29th, starting in Atlanta and moving to NYC, then Los Angeles, St. Louis, MO and Chicago, IL. Hundreds of people will be able to receive a library card to be able to get a hands on look at the sketchbooks.

Each participating artist was given one of 30 possible themes to base their creations on. The theme idea was created to help the artists get a clear focus as well aid the visitors in finding the books they are most interested in viewing. The theme I was randomly given was "The Aftermath of..." and I filled in the blank for the title/ theme to read
The Aftermath of Line and Sight. You can click that link to view more pages from my submission.

I am so very happy to be a part of such a huge community driven project. I love that so many people will get to handle the book and see the drawings up close. I hope you will take a look at this link for the touring dates. If the books come to your neck of the woods, go take a-look-see. I think you get to keep your library card.

10 comments:

  1. what a fascinating idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a fun project, and your drawings are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love looking at your drawings, they picked a good participant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rahina, Amber, Sadie, Michael and Winston - Thank you all so much for your kind comments. I had intended to fill this entire book with figure drawings, but I'm glad I felt the pressure of time, and decided to add the still life observations of skulls and other natural forms. I think they add a lot of interest to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! Love the horseshoe crabs, those bring back some Massachusetts memories...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane, thanks! ;)
    Massachusetts memories for sure (although these babies were sent to us by our nephews in FL. They just knew their crazy Auntie and Uncle would love them, and even would display them (in the dining room...) heee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just signed up! Found you through FB friend Nancy Bea Miller - I really like your work! Thanks for sharing about the Sketchbook Project - I think it will be very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh cool Amy! Enjoy it- it really is a fun project. Also, thanks for the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete