Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Stories of Contemporary Reaslism

Several of my works are included in the innovative online exhibition and sale titled Stories of Contemporary Realism at The Brigham Galleries.  This exhibit was guest curated by artist Kyle Thomas.  "Stories" opened for viewing on March 27th and continues thru May 31, 2012.  

 Cary Ann, oil on panel, 18" x 14"

Each artist was asked to give the back story of each piece or grouping.  In my usual fashion, I got a bit wordy...

"This query forced me to see how my works are inter-connected. What I realized in looking back, is that these works very clearly represent my life and the changes that have occurred for me in the last few years.  Starting with the painting of my friend Cary Ann, which was painted from life in my former Pasadena, CA studio thru to the large nude that was literally JUST finished here in my new home in North Carolina, you can clearly follow how my life's recent changes have affected my work. I consider figurative painting my first love. Painting people defines who I am and how I process this world, so when this recent move to the South made me NOT want to paint the people around me, that was a huge deal for me. Feelings of being foreign and disconnected from the people here, forced me to turn to different inspirations for my work. I became fascinated with the often overlooked, very common southern plants and the abundance of green that now surrounds me. It was through researching these Southern Weeds (as I call the series) that I started to learn about the South and started to gain a connection to the history of this place and its people. I have been able to return to my first love of figurative painting. Now, I do feel a deeper connection and understanding of the people around me. Though it seems my paintings are merely a direct response to the experiences of my life as they happen, my hope is that there is some universal truths that we can all share in the work. Honestly representing the emotions, content and characters of my life is the only way I know how to express these universal human truths."

Nest, oil on panel, 8" x 8"


Globe Sedge, oil on panel, 16" x 16"


Goldenrod, oil on panel, 24" x 24"


 Study of Kat, oil on panel, 12" x 9"


Threshold, oil on panel, 64" x 48"

Artist included in the exhibit are:
Greg Bennett
Robert Bodem
Candice Bohannon
Stephen Cefalo
Marc Dalessio
Matt Dickson
Michelle Dunaway
Alia El-Bermani
Frank Gardner
Ignat Ignatov
Tara Juneao
Michael Lierly
Leo Mancini-Hresko
Alfred Paredes
Scott Prior
Tony Pro
Mario Robinson
Richard Scott
Kyle Thomas
Ray Vargas
Katie Whipple

You can also view a video preview and discussion of this online exhibition on The Brigham Galleries blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment