Thursday, March 26, 2009

Women

I am honored to be included in a stellar compilation of women artists, that is being put together in the form of a blog, by Sadie J Valeri called Women Painting Women. She has picked a painting from my solo show Perceptions of Beauty, which was first shown at Sullivan Goss Gallery in 2006. This blog is a wonderful collection of female artists both known and lesser known but all skilled and deserving of recognition. Please visit the site often to see the ever growing list of talents and feel free to make suggestions as Sadie hopes this to be a collaborative effort.

Public Restroom
oil on panel
20" x 30"

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Alia! I love that piece, and glad to discover you through Sadie's blog. My piece was also chosen, I'm thrilled! I look forward to following your career, best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice thanks so much!! I love this piece too. It is of two students of mine in the ladies room on campus. I told them to act like 'french whores'. Not sure their parents would be pleased to know that.. but it worked! And for anyone interested and who wanted an excuse for a trip... it's currently hanging at the Loft Galeria in Puerto Vallarta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More Congratulations Alia! I am so glad to have discovered your blog and website. Your work is amazing, I love this theme of females, mirrors, and readying or analyzing oneself. Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen thank you! I feel so fortunate to be included and to find so many other fine female artists, you included.

    I keep coming back to mirrors and reflections in my work. I find my models become more 'real' when I tell them I'm looking at their reflection. For some reason, they let themselves relax a bit. I guess it's just one more layer removed from the 'self'?? But it is strange that the reflection becomes the more honest bit.

    ReplyDelete